How Stay-at-Home Moms Can Make an Income
One of the biggest struggles for stay-at-home moms (SAHMs) is not having enough money. I see moms ask for advice on working from home and earning extra income all of the time. More often than not, they are bombarded with scams or MLM companies that don’t guarantee income. In order to weed out the too-good-to-be-true opportunities and fake jobs, I asked real SAHMs what they do to earn income. This post has real job recommendations from real moms who bring in an income.
Most moms that are working from home are working for a company like you would at a regular 9 to 5. However, all of their tasks are done from home. Usually at a computer. There are different options based on what works best for you. Many moms own their own business, freelance, or work for delivery services when they have the time. Here are some of the best ways you can make money as a stay-at-home mom.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
16 Work From Home Jobs Real Stay-At-Home Moms Recommended
These jobs were recommended by real moms who are working from home and bringing in money.
- Write articles (see my post on how I earn passive income here)
- Personal stylist for Stitch Fix
- Run an at home daycare
- Teach English with VIPKid, GoGoKid, Magic Ears (need a degree)
- Sell handmade items through their own shop
- Dog trainer from home (own business)
- Call center work for Broadpath
- Work from home for Wayfair
- Choose from multiple job types (call center or other) with Working Solutions
- Transcriptionist for TranscribeMe
- Chat or support with Kelly Connect
- Customer service and support with Arise
- Work for Progressive Insurance
- Write and self-publish novels
- Tutor kids for TutorMe, Cambly, Wyzant
- Travel agent for American Express
Stay-at-Home Moms Run Their Own Businesses for Income
A lot of SAHMs run their own businesses instead of working for others. Selling handmade items was listed above but, the options moms have as business owners are endless. I have personally been running my own handmade business since I was pregnant, and it has helped us with bills and savings.
Good businesses for SAHMs to start are ones where you can keep a flexible schedule, control your workload, and take time away if you need to. One mom I talked to is a photographer. She books clients based on her schedule’s availability and only takes a certain number of clients per month. She is able to coordinate with her husband or a sitter while she is out working and brings home a decent income.
More Flexible Jobs Options for Stay-at-Home Moms
These jobs are not work-from-home but have been recommended by a lot of SAHMs for extra income. You can take jobs as you need or want them and work your own hours.
- Delivery for Door Dash, Instacart, Uber Eats
- When you sign up for these programs, you can preview the order and choose to accept it or not. Each program is a little different, but a lot of people are making money on these platforms. I have read that you cannot have anyone with you when you are delivering for these programs. So, this would be something to do when your spouse is home, or you have someone watching the kids.
- Dog walker or sitter (own business or work with Rover)
- Quite a few SAHMS said they are walking or dog sitting dogs on the side. Besides running their own business, moms used Rover to find clients. A lot of people hire through this app for their dog to be walked during the day while they’re at work and many use it if they are going to be out of town and need a sitter. This is another one where you’d probably have to leave your kids behind while you work as well.
Reputable Websites Moms Can Use to Find Real Work-From-Home Opportunities
More and more companies are offering real work-from-home jobs in 2022. They are also becoming easier to find. You can check out these reputable websites for at-home positions. Just enter the location as “remote” or search with work-from-home keywords. I ran a search on indeed today and there are tons of remote job opportunities listed. Still be aware of potential scams on these platforms. However, you’re less likely to run into them on these job websites.
Reputable Websites Moms Can Use to Find Freelance Work-From-Home Opportunities
You can also find freelance opportunities based on your skill set. You can take on new clients when you have time. It seems like the jobs are harder to land on these sites until you can build a portfolio of past work. However, a lot of people are making a good income from freelancing. It is possible that a client can turn into a repeat or steady client if they like your work.