I Accidentally Gave My Baby Honey Nut Cheerios

I Accidentally Gave My Baby Honey Nut Cheerios (Don’t Worry!)

Share this! Your friends will love it...

As parents, we make mistakes sometimes – like accidentally feeding our babies inappropriate foods before they are ready.

If you recently gave your little one some Honey Nut Cheerios, you’re likely feeling worried.

Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.

Fortunately, the chances of it causing infant botulism is EXTREMELY RARE.

It’s RAW honey that you should be worried about.

In this post, I’ll go over everything you need to know if you accidentally gave baby honey nut cheerios.

Can Honey Nut Cheerios Cause Botulism?

Botulism is caused by a toxin produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacteria. 

“While raw, unpasteurized honey poses the greatest botulism risk, processed honey in pre-packaged foods can also harbor Botulism spores”

Can Honey Nut Cheerios Cause Botulism

This is according to a study that was published on “Pharmacotherapy” back in 2002.

However, this is the ONLY reference on the WHOLE internet. 

There were no reports or studies of honey in processed food causing Botulism.

But there are hundreds of comments on forums where other moms gave their babies below 1 year Honey Nut Cheerios and had no issues ever.

So, I think it’s safe to say that the chances of Honey Nut Cheerios causing Botulism is almost zero.

But that doesn’t mean you should give your baby Honey Nut Cheerios. It’s UNHEALTHY!

What To Do If You Accidentally Gave Baby Honey Nut Cheerios?

If you are still not convinced and you are worried about your baby, look out for these common Botulism symptoms (which I am pretty sure your baby won’t have):

  • Weak cries
  • Loss of head control
  • Loss of appetite
  • Breathing difficulty
  • Muscle weakness

If your baby exhibits any of these symptoms, you should call your doctor right away.

What To Do If You Accidentally Gave Baby Honey Nut Cheerios

Also Read: Aquaphor On Baby Acne

Infants are at a higher risk of botulism because their digestive systems are not fully developed and they do not have the same level of immunity as adults.

Why You Shouldn’t Give Your Baby Honey Nut Cheerios

I totally get the temptation to share a yummy snack like that with your little one. 

But hold off for now – they contain a lot of added sugar that just isn’t good for your baby.

The main concern with sugary foods is that they provide calories without much nutritional value. Eating too much added sugar can potentially lead to high blood pressure, cavities, and even heart issues down the road.

Plus, your baby’s taste buds are still developing too. Feeding them honey nut cheerios may set up a preference for sugary stuff.

And childhood habits can stick around into the adult years.

Your baby definitely doesn’t need any added sugars right now. Even the AAP recommends avoiding sugar.

Also Read: I Spanked My 3 Year Old And Feel Terrible

There are plenty of nutritious snacks you can offer instead.

Final Thoughts

Don’t worry if you accidentally gave your baby Honey Nut Cheerios. It will NOT cause botulism. But, keep an eye out for any of the symptoms.

And please don’t give your baby below 1 year old these unhealthy snacks.


At What Age Can Babies Eat Honey Nut Cheerios?

Babies can eat Honey Nut Cheerios after their first birthday. By this age, their digestive system is more mature and better able to handle the spores of clostridium botulinum that may be present in honey.

Share this! Your friends will love it...

Similar Posts